Finishing Stories

A forum for general discussions relating to the subject matter of stripping, pantsing, humiliating or being on the receiving end of any of the above. (Newly registered members can't make topics).
CityWolf

Finishing Stories

Post by CityWolf »

You have all seen stories. The author starts it. Several parts. And then it stops. For years. You know that he's never going to finish it. You, however, have thought about it. You know how you would finish it.

Could there be a section where we paste in the story (giving credit where credit is due) and we finish or continue the story? Is there interest in that?
Debbifan

Re: Finishing Stories

Post by Debbifan »

This can be a touchy subject ! I did write a follow up once myself to a story by SDS, at a time when SDS seemed to have disappeared off the radar. I gave full credit towards the source and I had waited a few days after asking if it was an acceptable idea. But I ran into some flak for it. All ended well when SDS reappeared and happily gave a seal of approval but it can be a minefield.

Opening up the topic more generally, I always wonder about the idea of there being copywrite or something to stories written on a board such as this. Some authors put a tag on to that effect but I don't know to what purpose, there's very little under the sun that's entirely new, certainly not in this field. And it's not as if there is any money to be made ( I wish ! )

It would be interesting to hear what other authors have to say. I emphasize I'm not of a strong opinion one way or the other and don't want a flame war.
I endeavor to finish stories that I start. I only have one left hanging because of outside events and because I felt it had taken a wrong turn ( Debbi's Sunbathing Mishap ) If anyone wanted to finish that, be my guest.

I think though that the best solution is always to encourage the original author to get around to finishing the story. Would love to see 'Lady Lucia' finish The Prefect and Skillbox finish The Promotion !
Girlspns
Strip-Master In-Chief

Post by Girlspns »

I don't think it's a mystery how I feel about this subject since, well, I did do it a couple of times or even asked permission from the author of the story if I could finish it (did that once for an Erica story that I think is in the archives).

And that's only the stories I put out there, I'll be outright honest, I have about a dozen stories for my own private perusal that are basically just alternate endings, gender flips or completions of stories out there that either got abandoned or I simply wanted to see how the story worked out with my own personal touch.

As to how I feel about the whole thing, let me put it this way, I'm generally a believer of asking forgiveness rather than permission when it comes to gray areas like this, but I actively encourage it for one specific reason:

I watched a lecture being given by noted fantasy author Brian Sanderson where he mentioned that finishing a story, even when finished sub optimally, is still preferable to him over leaving it undone, because when you're unsure how to progress a story, it's a lot easier to spot what went wrong with the story then as opposed to thinking about it when at the point you're unsure about, and what you're essentially doing when finishing someone else's story is close to solving a math problem, you're given an incomplete equation, now solve it.

And again, if you're personally uncomfortable finishing someone else's work and posting it, doing what I usually do and just doing it for its own sake is still fine, you still get the effect.

Plus, you get a story you enjoy specifically, which is never a bad thing.
Executionus

Post by Executionus »

The older community used to get very bent out of shape related to things like this, though I doubt many of the current community would care too much. I remember a completely absurd controversy from the previous board where a writer wrote a story which featured a girl being handcuffed by her panties to her mailbox. Because I had used that same situation years earlier in Sleepover Nightmare, there wound up being a wave of angry Karens blasting the other author for "copying" me. This got extremely hateful very fast. I came in and said that I didn't care, and in the ENF genre it's not like we file for copyrights for every type of embarrassing position a girl can be put in (Whoever had the copyright on "hands behind your head, feet apart" could buy a mansion or two by now). The crowd of angry Karens then started bashing ME for saying that it was ok for the other guy to use a situation I pioneered, insisting that allowing such things would lead to anarchy.

Keep in mind that during this period in time most of the stories being posted were barely English and were often only 3 paragraphs long and basically just rape skits, but I was supposed to worry about the quality of content going down if I allowed others to use ideas I posted first. It was madness.

I've never cared to get butthurt over fan remakes and that sort of thing. If people are finishing your stories or making alternate versions and spinoffs, that means you made it. Imagine Marvel throwing a tantrum every time a TikToker did a superhero skit. Almost 20 years ago I used to coach people who were trying to use (poorly) a public character of mine, but it was still entertaining to see what situations they came up with for the character in question. I did learn very fast that the average writer sucks ass at using a chaotic neutral trickster character, so that was a learning experience. Much later when I cancelled the Playville saga I offered to hand it over to anybody that wanted to write up the final saga with my notes and outline, but nobody ever took that offer. In recent times I opened up the Thirst Trap Studios universe from the Thirst Games to anybody who wanted to write spinoffs in that universe, but so far nobody has.

Some people get very protective of that stuff though, especially older people like Gen X and above. I guess it comes from not being as immersed in fanfiction as the younger generations are. Either way, I live most of my entire freaking life by the words that Viredae posted above: "ask forgiveness rather than permission"
TheBlushingPrincess

Post by TheBlushingPrincess »

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Asserting copyright may be straightforward but obtaining evidence that you really are the owner of intellectual property would be difficult. For instance, how on Earth could there be a strong, evidence-based claim for a specific situation in an ENF story. I'm pretty certain any of us could find earlier similar situations. Also, what damages would accrue? As stated, there isn't any monetary value attached to this IP.

The bigger point is: DON'T LEAVE UNFINISHED STORIES
Executionus

Post by Executionus »

Crossroads wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:13 pm The bigger point is: DON'T LEAVE UNFINISHED STORIES
Seconded! Great point. Couldn't agree more.

*Whistles innocently and hopes everyone forgets about my 2 cancelled stories*
SDS

Post by SDS »

Executionus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:08 pm
Crossroads wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:13 pm The bigger point is: DON'T LEAVE UNFINISHED STORIES
Seconded! Great point. Couldn't agree more.

*Whistles innocently and hopes everyone forgets about my 2 cancelled stories*
Moderator - So behave!

Story Archive SDS Chatbots

librarian

Post by librarian »

I done a giggle. :3

What is your take on folks 'adopting' any of your abandoned stories, SDS?

Because one of my fave stories of yours - Rebecca's misadventures - recently popped up in the Archive.

Not sure if I'm the person who could take the story much further, but I've always wanted to revisit her modelling experience and push it a little further... :oops:
Executionus

Post by Executionus »

SDS wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:26 pm Meme