Best way to organize a long form story on this board

A forum for general discussions relating to the subject matter of stripping, pantsing, humiliating or being on the receiving end of any of the above. (Newly registered members can't make topics).
Mariax

Best way to organize a long form story on this board

Post by Mariax »

Hello all,

I am working on a story that doesn't currently have an ending in mind. I want to try my hand at an ongoing story format I can continue as I choose. Usually I have always completed and published my stories in one pass. As this board is now my community of choice, can someone walk me through the best way to do this without spamming the board with a bunch of new threads and keeping it easily readable?

I have seen some people block off all the top replies, but I don't actually know how many chapters there will end up being.

Any advice is appreciated. Formatting advice is helpful too as I am not smart when it comes to using the tools this board offers on the formatting side.

Thanks!
Hooked6

Re: Best way to organize a long form story on this board

Post by Hooked6 »

You are correct in trying to avoid posting multiple threads for the same story just to add a new chapter. Instead, post the long story in one thread adding chapters to the same thread when they are ready. It doesn’t matter if weeks or months pass until you post a new chapter because every time you or someone else posts to your thread with a new chapter or a comment, the thread is automatically bumped to the top of the board - first page / first thread.

To alert readers following your story you can use your editing function ( clicking on the pencil icon to access this edit function) to edit the main TITLE to indicate a new chapter has been added like so:

My story - chapter 1

Edit the original main title when adding a new chapter to read

My Story - ( Chapter 2 added) etc.

There are many examples of this format on the board so check it out.

Hooked6
Executionus

Post by Executionus »

If you're wanting to organize the story into easier reading, you can make the first post into a table of contents. To link to a specific post, right click on the file icon (to the left of "by (name) >> (date)" at the top) and click to save link location. You can then copy that link to your post. I considered doing this with a couple of my longest stories but got lazy. Normally it's not really required though as most stories will fit in the first 1-2 pages.
Mariax

Post by Mariax »

Thank you both for the help. I love the idea of the table of contents on my first post, and then I'll just add a comment and retitle with each update.

I should be uploading my first few chapters soon. I hope you guys will check it out and speak up if I'm doing it in a less than optimal way.
*Lady Lucia*

Post by *Lady Lucia* »

Having a Table of Contents is a good idea, like Executionus suggested. Two other ideas that I've adopted during my recent writing ventures:

1. At the end of any given part, just link to the next one. Say you finish Part Thirteen--now take a minute and go back to Part Twelve, adding "Link to Part Thirteen" at the bottom. Personally, I go out of my way to do this because I get so frustrated by other sites that make me hunt down each part if each one has its own page. It's not as big of a deal when it comes to the forum style, of course, but sometimes a chain of comments can be worth skipping over with a link.

2. Consolidate everything now and then! As long as you don't care about getting a 'high score' in terms of view count, then you can choose a milestone where you simply repost everything all at once. For me, I tend to do it when I hit multiples of ten, and then I'll post "XYZ Story, Parts 1-10" as its own thing. Makes it easier for both new and repeat readers.

--Lady Lucia