*DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JULY 12th* The Summer Slam Phase 2 *Official Announcement*

Here lie the stories of contests past, find your old story posts here.
Humilatron

*DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JULY 12th* The Summer Slam Phase 2 *Official Announcement*

Post by Humilatron »

Welcome to Phase 2. Up until this point I had no idea what the brackets would be. I used a random name picker to form the pairings.

Here are the brackets:
1. Debbifan vs MasterGepetto
2. Divhim vs Eoworfindir
3. SDS vs Revenged Pirate
4. Stripic vs Lady Lucia
5. EdithDick vs Executionus

You will be battling the author that you are in the bracket with.

You will REPLY with your follow up to THEIR story.

This is why names were really important. If since Eoworfindir is going up against Divhim, Eoworfindir would reply to Summer Slam - Divhim, and Divhim would reply to Summer Slam - Eoworfindir

Your post must be consolidated in ONE post (I recommend using Google Docs to write the story and just copy and pasting it in.

Everyone has a MAX word count of 2500 words (not including the initial post)

You must not go against what the author has set up initially, but you can take it in any direction you please as long as it meets the ENF standard (no diapers this time)

Your reply must be posted by July 12th or you will be disqualified.

Then a poll will be posted for each bracket in which people will vote for the story they think is better. This is also why the TITLE is important because people will be voting on the story as a whole but the winner will be the story that is deemed to be the best. For example, if Summer Slam - SDS has more votes then RevengedPirate, will move on to the next round. This ensures that people are voting for the story, not the person they want to see move on. (In theory anyways)

Once the voting is all over, the winner will move on. In the event of a tie, the winner will be determined by a random coin flip, but I’m hoping that does NOT happen.

We are judging based on the story as a whole, please try not to be biased towards the authors themselves and only judge on the content of the story.

Note: The brackets are only being used for this round. Also if someone fails to meet the deadline, they will automatically lose and the person they were up against will win by default. Hopefully we avoid that.

If you have questions, please reply to this post and ask them. I’ll try to explain.

Also I’ll be joining in Phase 3 which will even out the numbers.
Last edited by Humilatron on Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Read More stories on CHYOA

IMPORTANT, Read This ->
viewtopic.php?p=9805#p9805
edithdick

Re: The Summer Slam Phase 2 *Official Announcement*

Post by edithdick »

So if I read this correctly, either we move to the next round or our story starter moves ahead… I’m guessing that we are not supposed to complete the story in the next 2500 words, but just build on it, right?
Humilatron

Post by Humilatron »

You write for completion or at least should have some sort of wrap to the story arch.

IMPORTANT, Read This ->
Executionus

Post by Executionus »

Ah word limits, my ancient nemesis. It'll be fun trying to wrap that story up without going over.

Also you misspelled Edithdick's name.
edithdick

Post by edithdick »

Executionus wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:22 pm Ah word limits, my ancient nemesis. It'll be fun trying to wrap that story up without going over.

Also you misspelled Edithdick's name.
Freudian slip? He must have read one of my stories 🤣
*Lady Lucia*

Post by *Lady Lucia* »

I don’t mind tracking down what I need to find, nor do I think the other contestants will have a problem doing so, but it might be worth linking all the stories at the top of this post for the readers’ sake. :)

—LL
dublinjohn

Post by dublinjohn »

Humilatron wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:15 pm You write for completion or at least should have some sort of wrap to the story arch.
Just curious as a read

So A finishes B's Story and vice versa and then in the next round there is an A story started again and round 4 closes that story?

Or is part 3 just going to be 6 stories voting against each other, just wondering as I can see a struggle to finish by the end of Summer either way.

(the nerd that I am, I'm interested in the logistics)
Revengedpirate

Post by Revengedpirate »

Are we finishing the story, or writing a middle, some of these stories would be hard to finish in 2500 words as the starts are only 800 words. A finish would need more as a middle would work
edithdick

Post by edithdick »

Revengedpirate wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:09 pm Are we finishing the story, or writing a middle, some of these stories would be hard to finish in 2500 words as the starts are only 800 words. A finish would need more as a middle would work
Agreed this will be a challenge. At least we all have the same restriction, so it will be fair.

I’m looking at it as an opportunity to tighten up my writing a bit. Say more with fewer words and all that. It’s going to be interesting however it turns out.

One way is to think of this as a 4 part play, the first part is written, you just write 3 more scenes that are about the same size as the first to tell your story. That gives you 100 words to spare.
Last edited by edithdick on Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Humilatron

Post by Humilatron »

I’ll say that the word count is limited on purpose. It gives a challenge for everyone as there are many veterans that write 20 chapter novels and others that stick to one page. You can end on a cliffhanger or leave it to where it could be continued, but this is at the end of the day an ENF tournament. And it wouldn’t be much of a competition if I allowed such skilled veterans to have more words.

I purposefully chose a word count that would be both realistic and still challenging because I’m very aware that longer stories get favored by this group. So in efforts to keep this a fair competition, I am not going to budge on the word counts that are set at all. I don’t think it’s impossible to write a story with a total of about 3000ish words. It’s challenging but not impossible. I also want to avoid people taking 3-6 months to write their stories so having a shorter length enforced on everyone should hopefully speed everyone’s writing along. 2500 words is about 5 pages which should be more than enough to write a story.

Also also blame Siri because I used her to help me pick a word length.

IMPORTANT, Read This ->