Page 1 of 1

The Bare Margin, Ch 1

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 4:15 am
by barelin
Synopsis: A young woman vows total nudity during a family Vegas trip to reclaim her body from shame. Confronts family secrets, her mother's trauma, and her sister's hidden desires. Investigates the predator who assaulted her mother. Finds love with Riley after exploring her sexuality. Chooses authentic existence over performance. Ultimately, moves in with Riley, building an honest life.

Chapter 1: The Runaway

Three weeks before, our parents took a trip as a family to Las Vegas with just my two adult sisters and me, the youngest of the three. I’m standing before what I call a closet, or a hole in the wall that barely fits my body and my clothes at the same time, and I’m making decisions that feel like life-or-death.

Out of the scraps of fabric in the tiny apartment that I split rent on near the university. I own about three wearable dresses, two decent pairs of jeans, and several faded t-shirts. One pair of shoes that doesn’t hurt my feet. When I choose to wear one, the one bra that’s held together by hope and a safety pin. Panties that I bought in a five-pack two years ago and have been rotating like a carousel of shame. Living on the college scraps of money only goes so far and shows me what poverty looks like when you are not poor.

This is what poverty looks like when you’re not poor. This is the gap between “I can afford groceries” and “I can afford dignity.” I live in that gap. I’ve made it my home. On the table is the measuring cup that is blue. The Cheerios inside it are stale. The water stain on the ceiling above the kitchen table looks exactly like the shape of Florida.

That stain has been watching me now for three years, two months, and eleven days. I’ve never reported it. I’ve never tried to fix it. I’ve let it grow, watched it spread, given it a name, Florida, because naming things makes them less threatening. Florida doesn’t judge me. Florida doesn’t ask why I’m eating stale cereal at 10 PM on a Tuesday. Florida just sits there, brown and vaguely peninsula-shaped, being the only constant in my life.

Here’s what no one in my family knows, not the parents, not the sisters: I have been waiting for an excuse like this trip to Vegas for three years, two months, and eleven days. Not that I’m counting. I’m counting. I’ve been counting every single day since the Bodily Autonomy and Expression Act narrowly passed federally.

Let me back up. You’re going to need context, and I’m not the kind of narrator who doles it out in trickles. I’m the kind who dumps the whole bucket on the floor and dares you to stand in it, which only makes everyone in the family uncomfortable.

The Bodily Autonomy and Expression Act was passed into Federal law; it has been contested by nearly everyone who has a heartbeat. In short, it strikes the stick in the heart of the control of those who are in the business of policing the bodies, the female bodies. Nevada’s legal jurisdiction is one of nineteen states that have recognized and adopted it as policy. In states like Nevada, the short version of the federal law in states like Nevada, public nudity was no longer automatically considered indecent exposure. The state of Nevada states that if the context was non-commercial, non-sexual, and the person was in a place where they had a legal right to be. For example, public places such as parks, public sidewalks, and common gathering places. In the research, I found it legal to be fully naked inside the airports, through security, on the entire flight, to arrive at the destination. However, several of the airlines are still in a heated legal fight in court.

For everyone who has read the longer version, it will be boring. The long version involves seventy-three pages of legislative compromise, a Supreme Court challenge that went 5-4, and a lot of op-eds from men named things like Bartholomew who wrote sentences like “What’s next, jogging without trousers?” I read all seventy-three pages. I read the dissents. I read the Bartholomews. I did this at night, in bed, on my phone, while my roommate slept three feet away and dreamed about whatever normal people dream about.

Here’s what I concluded: the law was a start in the effort of policing the body, but the laws don’t change how people look at you. The laws just change what they can do about it in protecting their narrow version of the world around them. Ever since the moment it was signed by the President, I have been wanting to test that. Over the past years, there have been those who challenged it in practice with various amounts of resistance. I knew what I was up against, and I wanted to stand somewhere in public wearing nothing to see what would happen.

I wasn’t doing this for a photoshoot, not for a dare, especially since I wasn’t doing this for a social media stunt that would get me fifteen minutes and a podcast deal. I wanted to do it because I was tired. Tired of the arithmetic every woman learns by age twelve, regardless of their culture or where they live on this earth. The calculation of how much skin is too much? How much is too little? How much will make others around you debate that I was asking for it? How much will make her think I’m desperate?

I wanted to stop doing math with my body in the amount of fabric needed, and began dressing comfortably. In the sense of the term, dressing comfortably comes down to complying. So, I waited for the right place, time, and the right excuse. Then the father texted during the week of the university’s spring midterms about a Vegas vacation to cover the last days of the week into the extended weekend in April, and I thought: Vegas. A city built on people taking their clothes off for money. I’ll do it for free. That’s the protest.

But it wasn’t just a protest. It was a promise. A promise I made to myself in the dark of my Tempe apartment, staring at the Florida-shaped water stain, knowing that if I didn’t do this now, I would spend the rest of my life doing math. The arithmetic. The calculation of whether I was allowed to exist in the body I was given.

I made a vow. A real one. The kind you whisper to yourself when no one’s listening because you’re afraid of how ridiculous it sounds, as I wrote it down in the notes on the phone. The self-binding pledge from the second the non-smoking light in the overhead is turned off after departure until the moment the non-smoking light is turned on upon arrival back at Phoenix Sky Harbor: not a single stitch of fabric will be worn over the skin. I will not cover for the family, not for the hotel, not for the authorities, not for anyone. The pledge to be free of all fabric every second of the trip, from the beginning to the end, without apology: I will not cover up, and I will not run.

I said it out loud. In the dark. To the water stain. To the measuring cup. To the ghost of my roommate, who will likely not come back until the end of the semester for finals. That night, I said something else to myself that I didn’t fully understand until later in the trip. I told myself that if I break this promise, if I put on a single piece of fabric before arriving back in Phoenix, I will never forgive myself. That I will have to spend the rest of my life knowing that I was too scared to be who I really am.

I made the vow binding by making the consequences worse than the act itself. Unlike other promises that are made, there are no legal or social consequences binding that promise in terms. The personal ones, the kind that kept you up at night, staring at a water stain, wondering who you could have been if you’d just been brave enough to try.

I didn’t tell anyone. Not my roommate (who wasn’t there anyway). Not my therapist (I didn’t have one; I had a journal and a wine problem that I called “a hobby”). Not my sister Sienna, who would have spent the intervening weeks trying to talk me out of it, and who would have used words like “think about the brand” as if my body was a product she was co-signing.

I told myself I wasn’t planning anything. I was just ... gathering information.

Here’s what gathering information looked like:

Night one: I searched “public nudity Las Vegas resort policies” and found a forum post from a woman named DesertRose44 who said she’d been asked to leave the pool at the Bellagio even though the law was on her side. She didn’t fight it. She just put her clothes back on, went to her room, and cried. I bookmarked the page. I made a note: Don’t be DesertRose44.

Night two: I searched “Bodily Autonomy Act enforcement Nevada” and found a PDF from the state attorney general’s office. The language was so dry it could have been used to put out a fire. I read it twice. I highlighted three passages on my phone. Then I deleted the highlights because I was afraid someone would see them.

Night three: I searched “Las Vegas nude activist” and found a woman named Mara who’d been arrested in 2022, before the law passed, and had spent a weekend in jail. She was forty-seven. She had gray hair and a smile that looked like it had won arguments. I sent her a DM. She never replied.

Night four: I searched “Oasis Horizon Resort controversies” and found a thread about the hotel’s connection to a man named Vincent Moretti, a developer with ties to the Strip’s shadier elements. The thread was deleted within hours. I took screenshots anyway.

Night five: I searched “Showgirls Las Vegas 1988” and found a grainy photo of a woman who looked exactly like my mother.

That was the night I realized I wasn’t just gathering information about nudity. I was gathering information about secrets. About the things my family had buried. About the past that was about to resurface.

I didn’t sleep that night. I lay in bed, staring at Florida, and I thought about my mother’s hands, those short-nailed, gold-band-wearing hands, and I wondered what else they’d done besides change my diapers and sign my permission slips.

I wondered if she’d ever been as scared as I was.

I wondered if she’d ever been as brave.

Three weeks until Vegas. Three weeks to prepare. Three weeks to figure out how to tell my family that I wasn’t coming home the same person who left.

I whispered it to Florida. Just to the ceiling. Just to the water stain that had become my confessor.

“I’m going to do something they’ll never have the nerve to copy.”

Florida didn’t respond. Florida never does. But somehow, that silence was exactly what I needed.

The next morning, with no classes or scheduled work, I began my practice. Not the kind of practice you do in a mirror, striking poses and checking angles. The kind of practice that strips you bare, literally, and forces you to sit with discomfort until it becomes ordinary.

I took off my clothes at 8 AM and didn’t put them back on for forty-eight hours, which wouldn’t be restricted to the apartment but to the grounds of the complex. It stated in the lease that it was protected under federal jurisdiction as long as it was within the guidelines. While the first few hours were easy, they included the walk to the dumpster. I felt rebellious, powerful, like I was starring in my own indie film. Made coffee, prepared a meal, and did the electronic stuff like social media, emails, and other tasks. I stood by the open window and watched the Tempe morning traffic roll by, and I thought, Look at me, world. I’m doing it.

In the second hour, the novelty wore off. The air conditioning kicked on, and goosebumps erupted across my arms and thighs. The cold was sharp, invasive; it reminded me that my skin was a boundary, not a statement.

By hour six, I was uncomfortable in ways I hadn’t anticipated. The cheap fabric of my couch abraded the backs of my thighs. Every time I bent over to pick something up, I felt the strange, naked vulnerability of my lower back stretching. I realized I had never known the weight of being constantly exposed to the way the air itself becomes a pressure on your skin as I ventured out to the community mailbox.

By hour twelve, the sun had shifted, and a beam of light fell across the living room floor. I stepped into it deliberately, letting the warmth hit my stomach, my breasts, the inside of my thighs. It felt like a benediction. It felt like the first time I had ever truly felt sunlight.

I stayed naked through the night. I slept on the couch, no blanket. The first time I woke up, shivering, I nearly reached for the throw blanket on the armchair. My hand hovered over the fabric for a long moment. Then I pulled it back. I curled into a ball, hugging my knees to my chest, and forced myself to sleep without insulation.

The second night, I didn’t shiver. My body had adjusted. The cold was still there, but it was no longer a threat; it was just weather.

On the second morning, I looked at myself in the full-length mirror. I had stopped shaving a few months earlier, not as a statement, but out of laziness. Now I am grateful for it. The hair on my legs, under my arms, between my thighs- it was a reminder that this body was natural, not manufactured. I ran my hands over my ribs, the ones that stuck out slightly more on the right side. I touched the mole on my hip that my mother used to say looked like Australia. I traced the scar above my eyebrow from a bicycle accident when I was twelve.

This was my body. It wasn’t a statement. It wasn’t a protest. It wasn’t a political position. It was just the thing I lived in. But in less than six days, it was going to be seen, photographed, recorded, and documented with or without my consent. Standing before the mirror, at my reflection and whispering, “You’re not brave. You’re just tired.”

The reflection didn’t argue.

My phone buzzed. A text from Sienna.

Sienna Vasquez: Are you packed yet?

Chloe Vasquez: Yes.

Sienna Vasquez: What did you pack?

Chloe Vasquez: The usual.

Sienna Vasquez: Chloe.

Chloe Vasquez: Sienna.

Sienna Vasquez: Promise me you won’t be weird on this trip.

Chloe Vasquez: Define weird.

Sienna Vasquez: Promise me you won’t make it about you. For once. Can we have one family vacation that isn’t about whatever cause you’re currently dying on?

I stared at the phone. I thought about the journal entry I’d read the week before. The one who said I was selfish. The one that said love felt like a liability.

She wrote that. She meant it. She wasn’t wrong.

But she wasn’t right either.

Chloe Vasquez: I promise I’ll be myself.

Sienna Vasquez: That’s what I’m afraid of.

I put the phone down. I didn’t have a response to that.

Sienna’s apartment was a monument to things I would never understand.

The walk-in closet- I said walk-in, like it was a luxury- but it was bigger than my entire bedroom, which was organized by color. Whites, creams, and beiges on the left. Blush, coral, and magenta in the middle. Deep jewel tones on the right. Shoes in clear plastic boxes with labels: “Vacation,” “Work,” “Grief.”

I stopped at the Grief section.

What did Sienna have to grieve? She had money, followers, a boyfriend who posted about her on Valentine’s Day, a condo with a pool and a gym, and a concierge who remembered her name.

What grief could fit in a closet?

I didn’t open the boxes. I didn’t want to know. I wanted to stay angry. Anger was easier than sorrow.

But I was in her apartment for a reason. She was in Cancún, some influencer junket where she’d be photographed in bikinis and paid for the privilege, e and her journal was in the nightstand drawer, navy blue, gold elastic band, smelling like her perfume.

I shouldn’t be doing this. I knew I shouldn’t be doing this.

But I couldn’t stop.

The page was open to the one she had written before she left. The one I’d already read three times. The one I could recite from memory.

“Chloe came over today. She asked about Vegas. She has that look again, the one she gets when she’s about to do something she thinks is brave but is actually just selfish. She wants to be naked so someone will finally look at her. But Mom and Dad already looked. They just didn’t like what they saw.

I’m tired of being the sister who has to clean up the mess. I’m tired of explaining her to people who don’t matter. I’m tired of loving someone who makes love feel like a liability.”

I read it again. For the fourth time.

Love feels like a liability.

That’s the line that gets me. That’s the line that lives in my chest like a stone I swallowed.

She’s not wrong. She’s not wrong, and I hate that she’s not wrong.

I took a picture of the page. The flash was off. The photo was slightly blurry, but you could still read the words. You could still see her handwriting, that loopy, careful cursive she learned in private school, the kind that costs money and looks like it.

Evidence, I told myself. Evidence of what? A trial that only exists in my head?

I put the journal back. Same position. Elastic band around the same pages. I tucked it into the nightstand drawer, next to the candle that smelled like verbena and linen.

Then I sat on her bed. Her $2,000 bed. Her silk sheets. Her pillows were arranged just so, like a display in a store window.

She wrote that about me. She meant it. She’s not wrong.

But she’s not right either.

I stood up. I walked to her closet. I stripped.

Not because I needed to. Not because I was practicing. Because I wanted to feel something other than the weight of her words.

I took off my shirt. My shorts. My bra. My underwear. I stood in front of the full-length mirror, the one with the gold frame, the one she uses for her outfit-of-the-day posts, the one that’s seen more curated smiles than a yearbook, and I looked at myself.

Same body as always. Scar above the eyebrow.The rib that sticks out slightly more on the right side. Mole on my hip.

But in Sienna’s closet, surrounded by twenty thousand dollars of clothes I couldn’t afford and wouldn’t wear, I felt like an intruder. Not because I was naked. Because I was real. Real in a space designed to manufacture a version of reality that could be monetized.

This is what she hates about me. Not my politics. Not my nudity. My refusal to perform.

Sienna performs. Not in a fake way. In a survival way. She performs because she learned, early, that performing kept the peace. That smile kept our parents from fighting. That being pretty kept the boys from being cruel. That being successful kept the world from asking questions she didn’t want to answer.

I stopped performing around age fifteen. Sometime between the bike accident and the first time I saw a woman cry in a clinic exam room. I just woke up one day and realized I was tired of asking for permission to exist.

Sienna never woke up. She’s still sleeping, still dreaming, still arranging her closet by color and her life by brand deals.

I stood in her closet, naked, surrounded by clothes that weren’t mine, and I made a decision.

I texted myself: “Do it in Vegas. Not for them. For you.”

Then I deleted the text before it was sent.

Coward, I thought. You can’t even send a text you’ll never show anyone.

I was getting dressed when the buzzer rang.

I froze. Sienna’s apartment had security, the kind where you had to be announced. I wasn’t expecting anyone. Sienna wasn’t expecting anyone.

I pulled my shirt over my head, shoved my feet into my jeans, and walked to the intercom.

“Who is it?”

“Marcus. From next door? Sienna said I could borrow her wine opener.”

I knew Marcus. He was tall, good-looking, the kind of man who wore his arrogance like an accessory. He’d hit on me at Sienna’s holiday party a few months ago, but I’d brushed him off. He wasn’t my type, too slick, too sure of himself.

But I wasn’t fully dressed. And I was still raw from the journal.

I buzzed him up.

He came through the door with a practiced smile, holding a bottle of red wine like a prop. “You’re not Sienna.”

“Astute observation.”

“She said she’d be here.”

“She’s in Cancún. Taking pictures of herself in a bikini for money.”

He laughed. “You’re the sister. The intense one.”

“I’m the sister. Whether I’m intense depends on who’s asking.”

He moved closer. I could smell his cologne, something expensive and woody. He was close enough that I could see the edge of his jaw, the slight shadow of stubble.

“Sienna said you were having a rough time,” he said.

“Sienna talks too much.”

“She talks about you a lot. Says you’re always trying to prove something.”

“Maybe I am.”

“What are you trying to prove?”

I could have answered honestly. I could have said, I’m trying to prove that I exist outside of other people’s expectations. I could have said, I’m trying to prove that my body belongs to me.

But I was tired of explaining myself.

I kissed him instead.

It wasn’t a good kiss. It was aggressive, performative, the kind of kiss you see in movies where the characters are trying to prove something to themselves. He responded immediately, his hands grabbing my hips, pulling me against him.

I let him. For a moment, I let myself feel desired. I let myself forget about the journal, about the vow, about the plane.

But when he tried to push me toward the bedroom, I stopped.

“No.”

He pulled back, confused. “What?”

“I said no.”

“You’re the one who kissed me.”

“I know. And now I’m the one saying no.”

He stepped back, holding up his hands. “Okay. Fine. I’m not going to force you.” His voice was tight, controlled. I could see the anger simmering just beneath the surface, the humiliation of being rejected.

“I’m not trying to be a tease,” I said. “I just...”

“You just what?”

“I just wanted to feel something.”

He laughed in a short, bitter sound. “And I wanted to have sex. Same thing, different outcome.”

He turned and walked to the door. He didn’t look back.

I stood in the middle of Sienna’s living room, still tasting his cologne on my lips, and I realized I felt even emptier than before.

I used him. I used him to feel wanted, and it didn’t work. It didn’t fill the void. It just reminded me how deep it was.

That was the second thing I learned about my body that week: it wasn’t just a tool for protest. It was also a weapon I could turn against myself.

The cardboard box was filled with winter coats. Puffer jackets in pastel colors. A wool peacoat that belonged to my grandmother. Three sweaters with tags still on, because Elena buys things on sale and then forgets she owns them.

We were in her kitchen. The same kitchen I grew up in, with white cabinets, granite countertops, a fruit bowl that holds only lemons because lemons last longer than anything else. The house was in Gilbert, which is to Tempe what Tempe is to a college town: slightly farther from the airport, slightly closer to a golf course, slightly more likely to have a “Live, Laugh, Love” sign in the entryway.

Elena put one up last year. I didn’t comment. She didn’t ask.

“Don’t mix the men’s and women’s,” she said, not looking up from her sorting. “The shelter separates them.”

“Okay.”

“Did you go through your closet?”

“I don’t own coats. It’s Arizona.”

“You own one. The black one from the Old Navy.”

“I donated it last year.”

“Where?”

“I don’t know, Mom. A dumpster. A fire. The universe.”

She stopped sorting. She looked at me. Elena has a look that says I am disappointed, but I am too polite to say so. She’s been giving me that look since I was fourteen and came home with a B-plus in geometry.

“You’re in a mood.”

“I’m always in a mood. It’s my brand.”

She went back to the coats. I watched her hands. They’re her mother’s hands, short nails, no polish, a gold band on the left ring finger that’s been there for twenty-five years. Those hands have changed my diapers, made my birthday cakes, and signed my permission slips. Those hands have also, once, been the hands of a showgirl.

I know this because when I was eight years old, I couldn’t sleep. I got up to get a glass of water. I found my mother on the couch, in the dark, with a photo album open on her lap.

She didn’t hear me coming. I stood in the doorway for a long time, watching her cry. Silent crying. The kind where your face crumples but your mouth stays closed.

The photos were of her in Vegas. Young Elena in a feathered headdress. Young Elena with other women, all of them smiling, all of them wearing almost nothing. Young Elena was standing in front of the Mirage sign, arms crossed, looking like she’d just won something.

I didn’t say anything. I went back to bed. I pretended I hadn’t seen.

I’ve been pretending my whole life. The naked thing is just me stopping.

“So,” I said, folding a sweater I had no intention of donating, “did you ever feel free? In Vegas?”

Elena’s hands stopped moving.

“What?”

“Vegas. When you lived there. Before Dad.”

She didn’t ask how I knew. That’s the thing about secrets in families: everyone knows everyone knows. The pretense is the only thing holding it together.

“I worked at a buffet,” she said.

That’s the lie she’s been telling for thirty years.

“Mom.”

“It was a long time ago.”

“I’m not asking about the job. I’m asking about the feeling.”

She put down the peacoat. She looked at me. Really looked at me, the way she used to when I was little and I’d scraped my knee, assessing, calculating, deciding whether to comfort or correct.

“Why are you asking me this?”

Because I’m about to do something you never dared to do. And I need to know if you regret it. Your silence. Your shame. Your box of sequins in the back of the closet.

“Because we’re going to Vegas,” I said. “And I want to understand what it meant to you.”

“It meant nothing. It was a job.”

“That’s not what the photos say.”

The air changed. It got smaller, tighter, the way a room does when someone says something that can’t be unsaid.

I didn’t plan for this. I didn’t plan for the look on her face. Not anger. Not denial. Something worse. Something that looks like relief.

“You found them,” she said.

“I was eight. I couldn’t sleep. I didn’t mean to.”

“You never told your father.”

“It wasn’t my secret.”

She laughed. A short, wet sound that wasn’t happy. “You’ve been keeping it for thirteen years.”

“Someone had to.”

She got up from the table. She walked to the window. The kitchen looked out onto a backyard with a pool no one uses and a lemon tree that produces fruit so sour even the birds leave it alone.

“I felt watched,” she said. “That’s not the same as free.”

“I know.”

“Do you? Do you know what it’s like to have men look at you like you’re a vending machine? Like they’ve put in a coin, and you owe them something?”

I thought about the man in the pickup truck. The one who slowed down when I was sixteen. The one who told me what he’d like to do to my “little body.”

“Yeah,” I said. “I know.”

She turned around. She was crying. Not silent this time. The kind of crying that comes with a sound is a small, animal noise that makes me want to leave the room and stay forever at the same time.

“I was twenty years old,” she said. “There was a producer. His name was Frank. Frank Calhoun. He said he could help my career. He said he knew people. He said all I had to do was...”

She stopped.

“What?”

“Nothing. It doesn’t matter.”

“Mom.”

“He put his hand on my thigh. Under my costume. I was on a couch in his office. I didn’t say no. I didn’t say anything. I just sat there until he finished.”

Finished. The word hung in the air like smoke.

“What happened after?”

“I went back to my apartment. I took a shower. I didn’t tell anyone. Not for thirty years.”

“Until now.”

She wiped her face with the back of her hand. “Until now.”

I didn’t know what to say. I’m good at arguments. I’m good at comebacks. I’m good at the kind of conversation that ends with someone else feeling small. But this isn’t an argument. This is a wound.

“Mom,” I said. “Who was Frank Calhoun?”

“Someone who doesn’t matter anymore.”

“Did he hurt anyone else?”

She looked at me. Her eyes were red. Her face was wet. “I don’t know. I never asked. I just wanted to forget.”

She never asked. She never told anyone. She never reported him. She just let it go.

I can’t judge her for that. I would have done the same thing. I did the same thing. The man in the pickup truck,k I never reported him. I just walked faster and pretended it didn’t happen.

We’re more alike than I want to admit.

“Mom,” I said. “I’m going to do something in Vegas. Something you never got to do.”

“I know.”

“I’m going to be naked. The whole time. Every second.”

“I thought so.”

“And I’m not going to be ashamed. Not for a single moment.”

She sat down across from me. She took my hands. Her hands were cold. Her hands were shaking.

“I spent thirty years being ashamed,” she said. “Ashamed of my body. Ashamed of what I did. Ashamed of what was done to me. I don’t want that for you.”

“Then don’t ask me to hide.”

“I’m not asking you to hide. I’m asking you to survive.”

“Those are the same thing.”

“No,” she said. “They’re not. And someday you’ll understand the difference.”

She reached up and pulled a small cardboard box from the top shelf of her closet. It was dusty, taped shut, the kind of box you put in storage and never open again.

“Open it,” she said.

I pulled the tape. Inside were the sequins.

The costume was a bodysuit, not the elaborate headdress and feathers from the photos, but the base layer, the thing that went underneath. It was covered in tiny, iridescent sequins that caught the light and scattered it into a thousand fragments. The fabric was stretchy, worn soft from use.

“Try it on,” Elena said.

“What?”

“Try it on. I want to see it again.”

I stripped off my shirt. I pulled the bodysuit over my head. It fit snugly, almost like a second skin. The sequins pressed against my collarbones, my ribs, the curve of my hips.

I looked in the hallway mirror. The woman looking back at me was wearing a costume. But beneath the costume was the same body I’d been practicing in.

“I wore this for three years,” Elena said, coming up behind me. “Three years of standing on a stage, pretending to be something I wasn’t. But you know what? In those three years, I made more money than I’d ever seen. I felt powerful. I felt like I could walk into any room and command attention.”

“Then why did you leave?”

She touched the sequins on my shoulder. “Because I realized that the attention wasn’t for me. It was for the costume. It was for fantasy. I could stand on that stage for a hundred years, and no one would ever see me.”

She looked at my reflection. Her eyes met mine in the mirror.

“You’re doing the opposite,” she said. “You’re removing the costume. You’re saying, ‘See me. See the real thing.’ That’s terrifying. And it’s the bravest thing I’ve ever seen.”

She was crying again. But this time, she was smiling.

The library was quiet. It’s always quiet. That’s why I was there.

I sat in the back corner, at a computer that was older than I was, scrolling through newspaper archives from 1988. The screen was yellowed. The text was grainy. The whole thing felt like I was digging through a grave.

I typed: “Frank Calhoun Las Vegas showgirl.”

Nothing.

“Frank Calhoun produced Mirage.”

Nothing.

“Calhoun Entertainment Las Vegas.”

Something.

A small article. 1989. “Calhoun Entertainment Acquired by Sands Group.” No details. No names. Just a transaction, buried in the business section, next to an ad for a new casino buffet.

I clicked through. I read the article three times. There was nothing there, just a name, a date, a dollar amount.

But I had a name. That’s a start.

I searched further. “Vincent Moretti Las Vegas.” The name from the deleted forum thread. The man connected to the Oasis Horizon.

More results. He’s a developer. He owns half the Strip. He’s been investigated three times for fraud, never charged. He has a reputation for getting what he wants.

He’s connected to the Oasis Horizon. The hotel where I’m staying. The hotel where my family is staying for four days.

Coincidence?

I don’t believe in coincidence.

I pulled out my phone. I took a picture of the screen. I added it to the folder I’d been building: the one with Sienna’s journal entry, the one with the photo of my mother in her showgirl costume, the one with the screenshots from the deleted forum thread.

Evidence. Evidence of what? A conspiracy that only exists in my head?

I don’t know. But I know I’m not going to stop.

I was about to close the browser when something caught my eye. An image in the sidebar was a thumbnail from a tabloid archive, dated 1997. “Vegas Charity Gala: The Faces Behind the Fortunes.”

I clicked it.

The photo was grainy, taken on a red carpet. A group of men in tuxedos, women in gowns. And there, in the corner, partially obscured by a woman’s raised arm, was a man I recognized.

My father. David Vasquez.

He was younger, thinner, and his hair was darker. But it was him. Standing next to him was a woman, not Elena. She was blonde, younger than my mother, wearing a red dress that was cut dangerously low.

The caption was too small to read. I zoomed in.

“David Vasquez, executive vice president of Southwest Financial, with companion Miranda O’Toole.”

Miranda.

I stared at the screen. My father had been in Vegas in 1997. With a woman who wasn’t my mother. He’d been here before. He’d been doing this before.

I took a screenshot. I added it to the folder.

I didn’t know what it meant. I didn’t want to know. But I knew with the certainty that comes from a lifetime of watching my parents pretend that this was the tip of an iceberg.

My father had secrets. My mother had secrets. My sister had secrets.

The whole family was built on things we couldn’t say.

I was the one who was going to say them.

The dinner was tense.

My parents’ house in Gilbert. The dining room with the china cabinet that was never opened, the chandelier that hadn’t been cleaned in years, the table that could seat eight but usually only held four.

David sat at the head of the table, cutting his steak with military precision. Elena sat to his right, her back straight, her hands in her lap when she wasn’t eating. Sienna was on her phone, of course she was, but she’d angled the camera so she could capture the moment without being obvious.

I sat across from my mother, my dress, the beige one I’d be wearing on the plane, e hanging loose on my shoulders. No underwear underneath. I’ve been practicing.

“So,” David said, “Vegas. Tomorrow. Everyone ready?”

“I’m ready,” Sienna said.

“Me too,” I said.

“Chloe.” He looked at me. “You’re not going to do anything… dramatic, are you?”

Dramatic. That’s what he called it. Dramatic. Not brave. Not principled. Dramatic.

“Define dramatic,” I said.

“Chloe.” Elena’s voice was a warning.

“I’m just asking. He said dramatically. I want to know what he means.”

David put down his knife. “I mean, are you going to cause a scene? Are you going to do something that embarrasses this family?”

“I’m not going to embarrass anyone.”

“That’s not an answer.”

“It’s the only one I have.”

He picked up his knife again. He went back to cutting his steak. He didn’t say anything else.

But I saw his hands. They were shaking.

He’s scared. He’s scared of me. He’s scared of what I might do.

Good. He should be.

But there was something else, too. Something I’d noticed the moment I walked in the door. His phone was face-up on the table, next to his wine glass. Every few minutes, it lit up with a notification. He’d glance at it, then quickly look away.

I watched him. The third time the phone lit up, I saw the name.

Miranda.

The same name from the tabloid. The same woman from the charity gala.

My father was in contact with her. After all these years.

I felt sick. I wanted to scream. I wanted to throw my plate against the wall and demand to know who she was and what she’d been to him.

But I kept my mouth shut. I needed more evidence. I needed to know the whole story.

“Everything okay?” Elena asked, looking at David.

“Fine,” he said, too quickly. “Just work emails.”

He didn’t look at her. He didn’t look at anyone. He just kept cutting his steak, his knife scraping against the china, a sound like a lie grinding against truth.

Sienna was quiet. She’d been quiet all night. She’d been quiet since the Cancún trip. She’d been quiet since I found her journal.

She knows something. She knows something about Vegas. She knows something about our mother. She knows something about the boxes in the closet.

I need to find out what.

“Dad,” Sienna said suddenly, “did you ever go to Vegas on business trips? Before we were born?”

David’s fork froze halfway to his mouth. “What?”

“Vegas. Did you go there? For work?”

“I went to a lot of places for work, Sienna. I don’t remember every detail.”

“Mom said you went in '97. For a charity gala.”

I looked at Elena. Her face was pale. She hadn’t said anything about a charity gala. She hadn’t said anything about 1997.

Sienna was fishing. She was baiting him. She knew something.

“I don’t remember,” David said. His voice was tight. “It was a long time ago.”

“But you do remember the charity gala, don’t you?” Sienna pressed. “The one where you were photographed with a woman who wasn’t Mom?”

The silence was deafening.

Elena’s face crumpled. She looked at David. Her expression wasn’t shocked. It wasn’t anger. It was a sign. She already knew.

Of course, she already knew. She’d known for years.

“Who was she?” Elena asked. Her voice was quiet. Steady. The voice of a woman who’d already asked this question in the privacy of her own mind.

“No one,” David said.

“Her name is Miranda,” Sienna said. “I found the photo online. You were wearing a tuxedo. She was wearing a red dress. You had your hand on her back.”

“Enough.” David slammed his knife down. The plate shattered. A shard of ceramic flew across the table.

Sienna flinched. Elena didn’t move. I didn’t move. We all just stared at him.

“Who is she, David?” Elena asked again. Her voice was still quiet. Still steady.

“She was a client,” he said. “A business associate. We had dinner. That’s all.”

“Liar,” Sienna said.

“Sienna,” I started.

“No, Chloe. I’m done. I’m done pretending. I found the photos. I found her on social media. She’s been posting about him for years with photos, captions about ‘the one who got away.’ She still follows him. He still follows her. They’ve been in touch the whole time.”

David was shaking. His face was red. His fists were clenched.

“Stop,” he said. “Just stop.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Elena asked. Her voice broke. Just a little. Just enough to be audible. “All those years. All those years, I thought we were building something. And you were still seeing her.”

“I wasn’t seeing her. I was just ... she was just someone I knew. Before you. Before everything.”

“Before everything?” Elena laughed in a bitter, hollow sound. “We were married in '97. We were married, David. We had a three-year-old daughter. And you were taking another woman to a gala.”

“I told you, it was business.”

“Then why did you never tell me about her? If it were business, why did you hide it?”

He didn’t answer. He couldn’t. The silence was his confession.

Elena stood up. She walked to the window. Her hands were shaking.

Sienna was crying. Silent tears streamed down her face.

I sat there, watching my family fall apart. And I realized, with an almost painful clarity, that this was what I’d been doing my whole life. Watching. Waiting. Collecting evidence.

My mother had been hiding her shame for thirty years. My father had been hiding his infidelity for even longer. My sister had been hiding her resentment.

And I was the one who was going to expose it all.

Not because I was cruel. Because I was tired. Tired of math. Tired of pretending. Tired of the cost of keeping secrets.

“I’m going to Vegas,” I said. “And I’m going to be naked. The whole time. Not because I want to hurt you. Because I want to stop hiding. And I want you to see what it looks like when someone stops.”

David looked at me. His eyes were red. “You want to make a point,” he said. “You want to make a spectacle. But you don’t understand what you’re getting into. You don’t understand what it costs to be seen.”

“I understand more than you think, Dad.”

“No. You don’t.” He stood up. “You’re a child. You’re a child who thinks she’s discovered something profound. But all you’ve discovered is that the world is cruel. And you want to fight it with your body. But the world doesn’t care about your body. It will use you and discard you and forget you.”

“Like you used Mom? Like you discarded her?”

He slapped me.

It wasn’t hard. It was more of a shove, his hand connecting with my cheek, pushing my head to the side. But it was enough. It was a physical violation. A breaking of a boundary that could never be unbroken.

Elena screamed. Sienna lunged at him. I just sat there, holding my cheek, staring at my father.

He was shaking. He was terrified. He’d crossed a line, and he knew it.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it

“Yes, you did,” I said. “You meant it. You’ve been meaning it for years. You just finally had the nerve to do it.”

I stood up. I walked to the door.

“Where are you going?” Elena asked.

“To pack,” I said. “I’m going to Vegas. I’m going to be naked. And I’m going to show you all what it looks like when a woman stops apologizing.”

I walked out of the house.

I didn’t look back.

The night air was cold. I stood on the front lawn, shivering in my beige dress, staring up at the stars.

I could feel the mark on my cheek. It would be bruised. I’d have a souvenir of this moment.

My phone buzzed. Sienna.

Sienna Vasquez: Are you okay?

Chloe Vasquez: No.

Sienna Vasquez: I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said anything. I ruined dinner.

Chloe Vasquez: You didn’t ruin anything. He did.

Sienna Vasquez: I found her. Miranda. I’ve known for months. I didn’t tell you because I was afraid of what you’d do.

Chloe Vasquez: What would I do?

Sienna Vasquez: The same thing you always do. Make it a cause. Make it a crusade. Make it something that forces everyone else to choose sides.

She wasn’t wrong. I was going to do exactly that. I was going to take my father’s infidelity and my mother’s shame and my sister’s resentment and turn them into ammunition.

Because that’s what I did. That’s who I was.

Chloe Vasquez: I’m not going to make it a crusade, Sienna. I’m going to make it a choice. MY choice.

Sienna Vasquez: You always choose the hardest path. Why can’t you just choose the easy one?

Chloe Vasquez: Because the easy path is just another kind of lie.

I put my phone away. I walked to my car.

I didn’t go home. I drove to the library. It was closed, but I sat in the parking lot, staring at my phone, scrolling through the photos I’d saved.

The tabloid photo. The charity gala. My father, his hand on Miranda’s back.

I didn’t know who she was. I didn’t know how long the affair had lasted. I didn’t know if it was still going on.

But I knew one thing: I was going to find out. And I was going to use it.

Not to destroy him. But to free myself.

Because the biggest lie I’d been told wasn’t that my body was shameful. It was because my father was a good man. That my mother was a martyr. That my sister was a success.

We were all performing. We were all hiding. And I was the one who was going to stop.

I started the car. I drove home.

Florida was waiting for me. The water stain on my ceiling is brown and vaguely peninsula-shaped.

“I’m leaving tomorrow,” I said. “I’m going to Vegas. I’m going to be naked. And I’m going to find out who my father really is.”

Florida didn’t respond. Florida never does.

But that silence was exactly what I needed.

The next morning, I woke up before my alarm. Three alarms. I set three. I didn’t need any of them.

My eyes opened at 4:47 AM. Florida was watching me. Florida is always watching me.

Today is the day. The day I stop pretending. The day I stop hiding. The day I take off my clothes and dare the world to look.

I lay in bed for a long time. I thought about the vow. The promise. The thing I said to myself in the dark.

From the moment the airplane door closes upon departure until the moment it opens upon arrival home, I will not wear a single stitch of clothing.

Not for my family. Not for the hotel. Not for the police. Not for anyone.

I will be naked every second of that trip.

And if I break this promise, if I put on a single piece of fabric, I will never forgive myself.

The consequence is worse than the act. The consequence is knowing I’m a coward. The consequence is living with that knowledge forever.

I got up. I showered. I didn’t shave. I stood under the water for twenty minutes, letting it hit my face, my shoulders, the scar above my eyebrow. The mole that looks like Australia. The rib that sticks out.

This is my body. It’s not a statement. It’s not a protest. It’s not a political position. It’s just the thing I live in.

But today, it’s going to be seen.

The beige dress is hanging on the back of my door. Linen. Loose. I put it on. No underwear. No bra. Nothing underneath but me.

The fabric is soft. It’s been washed so many times that it feels like wearing a cloud.

This is the last piece of clothing I’ll wear for four days. This is the last time I’ll feel fabric on my skin.

I looked in the mirror—the one with the cracked corner from when my roommate threw a shoe at a spider.

You look normal. You look like a person going on vacation.

That’s the trick. That’s the whole thing. You look normal until you don’t.

I packed my bag. One bag. A small duffel. Inside: a phone charger, a book I’m not going to read, a toothbrush, and the second dress, the one for the flight home.

No pajamas. No swimsuit. No underwear. No backup plan.

No safety net. That’s the point.

I walked to the door. I stopped. I looked back at Florida.

“Wish me luck,” I said.

Florida didn’t respond. Florida never does.

I closed the door behind me.

The airport was chaotic. It’s always chaos. People running, people waiting, people eating Cinnabon at 6 AM like it’s normal. I walked through the sliding doors and felt the air change that weird, recycled air that smells like jet fuel and anxiety.

My family was already at the ticket counter.

David was checking bags. He had three bags for him, one for Elena, and one that’s presumably Sienna’s but looks like it could fit a small horse. He was wearing a polo shirt and khakis, and the expression he wears when he’s calculating something: tip, taxes, the cost of saying the wrong thing.

Elena was standing next to him, holding her purse with both hands. She looked like she hadn’t slept either. Her eyes met mine. She didn’t smile. She nodded. A small, tight nod that said, I know what you’re planning, and I’m not going to stop you, but I’m not going to pretend I’m okay with it.

Sienna was on her phone. Of course, she’s on her phone. She’s filming. Not me; she’s careful to keep the camera pointed away from me, but at the ticket counter, the baggage scale, the departures board. B-roll, she’d call it. Content.

She’s already editing this trip in her head. She’s already deciding which parts make her look good and which parts need to be cut.

“Chloe!” David’s voice was too loud. Airports do that to people. Make them yell. “You made it.”

“I said I would.”

“You said you’d try.”

“I tried. I succeeded. Here I am.”

He laughed. A nervous laugh. The kind you do when you’re not sure if something is a joke. “Let’s get through security. Your mother wants coffee before we board.”

Your mother wants coffee. Not Elena. Your mother. He did that when he was stressed. He distanced. He made her into a role instead of a person.

I followed them to the security line. Sienna was still filming. Elena was still holding her purse. David was still calculating.

We’re a family that travels together but sits in different rows.

The gate was C12. We were early. Forty-five minutes until boarding. David went to get coffee. Elena sat in a plastic chair with her back straight and her hands in her lap. Sienna was still on her phone, but she’d stopped filming. She was typing. Probably a story. Probably something about “vacation mode” and “so ready for this.”

I sat two seats away from Elena. Close enough to talk. Far enough to pretend we’re not.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

“I’m fine.”

“You look pale.”

“I’m always pale. I’m Irish on Dad’s side.”

“You’re not Irish.”

“I’m metaphorically Irish.”

She didn’t laugh. She didn’t even smile. She just looked at me with those eyes, the ones that have seen a producer’s hand on her thigh, a box of sequins in the closet, a daughter who won’t stop pushing.

“Chloe.”

“Mom.”

“Please be careful.”

“I’m always careful.”

“That’s not true.”

No. It’s not. But it’s what I need you to believe.

I looked around the gate. Families. Businessmen. A woman in a tracksuit was pacing like she was about to run a marathon. A man in a cowboy hat was reading an actual newspaper, like it’s 1995.

And then I saw him.

He was in the corner, reading a magazine. He was wearing jeans and a blazer and a look that said I don’t belong here, but I’m trying to blend in.

He was a journalist. The one from the Oasis Horizon. Leo Markham.

He followed me. He followed me to the airport. He’s going to be on the plane.

I didn’t say anything. I didn’t acknowledge him. I just sat there, feeling his eyes on me, feeling the weight of his presence.

He’s going to write about me. He’s going to document everything I do. He’s going to be my witness.

Good. I need witnesses.

The plane was a 737. Three seats on each side. I had the window. Sienna had the middle. Elena had the aisle. David was across the aisle in the same row, different letters.

Sienna looked at me as I sat down. She looked at my dress. She looked at my face.

“You’re not wearing anything under that, are you?”

“How do you know?”

“I know you.”

“That’s not an answer.”

“It’s the only one I have.”

She sighed. That sigh. The one that could power a small city. “You’re going to do it on the plane, aren’t you? You’re going to take it off.”

“I’m going to sit in my seat and read the in-flight magazine. That’s what I’m going to do.”

“That’s not an answer.”

“It’s the only one I have.”

She turned away. She put in her AirPods. She closed her eyes. She’s done with me. For now.

Good. Let her be done. Let her listen to whatever she listens to: pop stars, podcasts, the sound of her own breathing. Let her pretend I’m not here.

I’m here. I’ve always been here. I’m just about to be more here than she’s comfortable with.

The safety demonstration started. The flight attendants pointed at the exits. The video showed a woman putting on an oxygen mask. I watched it as if I’d never seen it before.

If the cabin loses pressure, masks will drop from the ceiling. Pull the mask toward you. Secure your own mask before helping others.

I’ve been trying to secure my own mask for twenty-one years. Today, I’m finally pulling the cord.

The plane began to taxi. The engines got louder. The seatbelt sign was on.

Not yet. Not until the sign turns off. Not until we’re in the air.

The plane turned onto the runway. The engines roared. The brakes released.

Here we go.

We accelerated. Faster. Faster. The nose lifted. The ground fell away. The buildings got smaller. The cars got smaller. The whole world got smaller, shrinking into a grid of streets and parking lots and swimming pools that looked like postage stamps.

Twenty-one years on the ground. Today, I’m learning to fly.

The seatbelt sign turned off.

I waited. Thirty seconds. A minute. Long enough for the flight attendants to start the beverage service. Long enough for the person in front of me to recline their seat.

Then I stood up.

Sienna’s eyes opened. She looked at me. She knew. She’d always known.

“Don’t,” she said.

I didn’t answer. I reached down. I grabbed the hem of my dress. I pulled it over my head.

The fabric slid up my legs, my hips, my ribs. It caught in my ears for a second, the way dresses always do, o and then it was off. In my hand. Folded. Placed it in the seatback pockets as it no longer belonged to me.

I sat back down.

I’m naked. I’m really naked. In an airplane. In front of my family. In front of strangers. In front of a journalist who’s going to write about this.

There’s no going back. The vow is made. The promise is kept. From this moment until the airplane door opens in Phoenix, I am not wearing a single stitch of clothing.

Sienna stared at me. Her mouth was open. Her AirPods had fallen out. She looked like she’d seen a ghost, except the ghost was me, and I’m not dead; I’m just naked.

“What the hell are you doing?” she whisper-screamed.

I picked up the in-flight magazine. I opened it to a random page. An article about duty-free shopping.

“Reading,” I said. “What does it look like?”

“You’re naked.”

“I’m not wearing clothes. There’s a difference.”

“Chloe”

“Sienna. It’s legal. The plane is in the air. The seatbelt sign is off. I’m not disturbing anyone. I’m just sitting here. Reading. About duty-free.”

Across the aisle, David looked up from his Kindle. He saw me. He went pale. Not metaphorically pale. Actually pale, the color of paper, the color of someone who’s just been told something they can’t unhear.

“Chloe.” His voice was low. Controlled. The voice he uses in board meetings. “Put your dress back on.”

“No.”

“Chloe.”

“I said no.” I turned a page. “The magazine is very interesting. Did you know you can save up to twenty percent on fragrances?”

A flight attendant walked by. A young woman, maybe twenty-five, with a ponytail and a smile that says she’s seen everything. She looked at me. She looked at my dress on the seat. She looked at my family.

“Ma’am, do you need anything?”

“I’m fine, thank you.”

“Are you sure?”

“I’m sure, as I reached out and handed her the dress.

She took it and asked, “Was it trash?”

I nodded, and she kept walking after slipping it into a trash bag. She didn’t ask me to cover up. She didn’t call security. She just took the dress as trash and walked.

That’s the law. That’s the Bodily Autonomy Act. But the law doesn’t stop people from staring. The law just permits you to stare back.

I’m staring back. I’ve been staring back at my whole life.

Sienna was crying. Not loud crying. The kind where your eyes fill up, and you try to blink it away, and it doesn’t work.

“I can’t believe you did this,” she said.

“You can. You just don’t want to.”

“You didn’t even warn me.”

“I didn’t warn anyone.”

“That’s the problem. You never warn anyone. You just do things, and the rest of us have to clean up the mess.”

There it is. The mess. The mess I make by existing. The mess I make by refusing to pretend.

“I’m not a mess, Sienna. I’m a person. Sitting on a plane. Reading a magazine.”

“You’re making a scene.”

“I’m sitting still. You’re the one making noise.”

She turned away. She put her AirPods back in. She closed her eyes. The tears were still on her cheeks. She didn’t wipe them off.

I wanted to feel bad. I wanted to feel guilty. I wanted to reach out and touch her arm and say something that would make it better.

But I didn’t. Because I wasn’t wrong. And apologizing when you’re not wrong is just another kind of lie.

Elena hadn’t said anything. She was just sitting there, her hands in her lap, her eyes fixed on the seatback in front of her. She wasn’t crying. She wasn’t angry. She was just ... still.

Still like a photograph. Still like a memory. Still like the woman on the couch in 2009, holding a photo album, crying without making a sound.

“Mom,” I said.

She didn’t respond.

“Mom. Look at me.”

Slowly, she turned her head. Her eyes met mine. They were dry. They were tired. They were something else, too. Something I couldn’t name.

“I’m not going to tell you to put your clothes on,” she said.

“I didn’t ask you to.”

“I know. That’s why I’m not going to.”

She turned back to the seatback. She didn’t say anything else.

That was enough. That was everything. She wasn’t approving. She wasn’t endorsing. She was just ... stopping. Stopping the fight. Stopping the pretense. Stopping the cycle of me pushing and her pushing back.

It was the most honest moment we’d ever had.

The rest of the flight was quiet. Sienna kept her AirPods in. David kept his eyes on his Kindle. Elena kept her hands in her lap. I kept reading the in-flight magazine.

A man across the aisle noticed me. He was in his fifties, wearing a wedding ring and a baseball cap. He looked. He looked away. He looked again. He didn’t say anything.

That’s what most people do. They look. They look away. They look again. They don’t say anything because they don’t have the words.

The words are simple: you exist. I see you. I’m not going to punish you for it.

But those words are hard. Harder than they should be. Harder than a body deserves.

The flight attendant came by with the drink cart. Sienna ordered a vodka soda. David ordered a bourbon. Elena ordered water. I ordered ginger ale.

“Are you cold?” the flight attendant asked me.

“A little,” I said.

She smiled. It wasn’t a judgmental smile. It was almost kind. “I can bring you a blanket if you want.”

“That’s okay. I’m fine.”

She nodded. She handed me the ginger ale. She moved on.

I wasn’t cold. I was terrified. But terror and cold feel the same if you don’t look too close.

The plane began its descent into Las Vegas. The seatbelt sign came back on. I just sat there, naked, watching the desert scroll beneath the clouds.

The Strip appeared. The hotels. The fake Eiffel Tower, the fake pyramid, the fake volcano. A city built on pretending. A city where I’m about to stop pretending forever.

Here’s what I thought, looking out the window:

I’m not brave. I’m not a hero. I’m not a martyr. I’m just someone who got tired of doing math.

The math of how much skin is too much. The math of what he’ll think. The math of what she’ll say. The math of whether I’m allowed to exist in the body I was given.

I stopped doing the math. That’s all. That’s the whole thing.

The plane landed. The wheels touched the ground. The passengers applauded some of them, the ones who think landing is a miracle instead of a routine.

I didn’t applaud. I just sat there. Naked. Waiting for the door to open.

Waiting to see what happens when a body stops asking for permission.

The vow is intact. The promise is kept. I am naked. I will stay naked. I will not break.

Re: The Bare Margin, Ch 1

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 11:45 am
by flyingmonk
What a,delightful read. Very well written

Re: The Bare Margin, Ch 1

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 9:59 pm
by Noclothes
This is great and I'm excited to see where it goes